7 Sander Tips You Need To Learn Now
In our daily modern life, the uses of plastic, wood, metals are increasing day by day. With the increasing demand the smoothness, polishing, etc. also required on large scale.
With the sander, the smoothing process has become a familiar and mostly less time-consuming process that people want to use much.
If you need sander tips then you are in the right place.
Why You Should Use Sander
Firstly one should know about what a sander does for the woodwork. So that we can gain interest in using it.
- By using a sander one can erase the machine marks off the wood.
- It smoothens the wood.
- It helps to ensure the surface of the wood is at the same level.
- It is also a “tooth” giving process so that woods can be bonded with the coatings effectively.
Here are some sander tips described below for you to always remember. They are-
1. Knowing About The Sanding Grits
When one is about to use a sander, he or she should know about the grits and their uses. This is the first and most important sander tips.
Grits are mainly the upper and the main part of the sander that smoothens the surfaces.
There are many types of grits in many ranges. Some of the Grits are-
80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220 etc.
While using these grits, users should know that the lower the grit number is, the more aggressive sandpaper removal.
Besides these, there are many guidelines for using various grits.
- For bare wood use grit 80.
- For removing water stains on the wood grit 100-120.
- For removing varnish and final finishing grit 80.
- For finishing with minimal efforts and wiping out grit of 40, 50, 60.
- For initial works on hardwood that will be used in floor grit of 24, 30, 36.
The uses of grits depend on the users and their will and type of works. Besides these many has said that one can-
- Natural wood should start at 60, then with the progression, we should stop at 150-180.
- To break an edge, one should use grit 220.
- For ply-woods, one can use 220 also, etc.
2. Knowing About The Most Common Sanders in Market
The two most common types of Sander are being found in the market nowadays are All the standard Sander (rectangle in shape) and the other one is Round Orbital Sander (round in shape). Visit Dual Action Da Sander to know about the best sanders in the market.
Among the two of them, everyone prefers to have the round orbital sander for some reasons explained below
- While working with a standard sander (rectangular shaped), one has to sand along the direction of grains always. Rather it will give scratches.
- When it comes to Round Orbital Sander, it doesn't produce any kind of crunches on the wood.
- Besides these, handling the round one is much more efficient than the rectangular one as it doesn't only smoothens the surface by its circular face but also clears the marks of the wood by shaking the grit.
Besides these are many sanders in the market that can be used for different purposes, We should know about all the sanders and which one helps for specific purposes.
3. How to Hold the Sander: Most Important Sander Tip
We must remember that in time of sanding, we need to touch the grit and sandpaper touching flat with the plate.
On the other hand, if we sand by tipping the grit for longer then it will cause deep sand and many times makes a Holley part that demolishes the smoothen surface idea.
Many times in edges it also causes the edge to be rounded what we didn’t intend to do in our furniture and doors.
4. Mark With Pencil for Ensuring Overall Levelled surface?
To make the surface leveled and smooth we need to sander all the surface equally. If you are confused about which you have completed before then follow this rule.
Firstly make pencil marks on the surface. Then start sanding. You will see with the sanding process all the marks are getting vanished from the portion. Thus you will be assured that you have done that part before.
5. Dust Collection Bag or a Vacuum Cleaner?
There's a small bag that collects all the dust from the wood surfaces. But in case of a large amount of work the bag size is not enough. And for this reason, you have to clear the dust bag more often simultaneously.
There's an interesting way to get all the dust at a time and this won't make the floor covered with dust.
You can use a vacuum cleaner so that all the dust will be collected as a package in a vacuum and after the work is done, you can throw out the packet without causing any hamper in the workshop.
6. Hand Gloves or Naked Hand?
If you are using a sander for a long period, you will feel the fingers of your hand numb. This is because of the vibrations of a sander.
To stop this numb going process one should use hand gloves.
Use gloves that have pads to reduce the vibration of the sander in hand. Anti-vibration gloves are best for sander users. And also available in markets that can be found easily.
7. Finishing The Surface work
The Last Thing to remember as a sander tip, one should check for the marks that have been created by a sander. And this should be by his or her hand.
When you are checking the surfaces by hand, you can feel the non-leveled surfaces very well and also can observe the smoothing working efficiency.
Then use sandpaper on that surface to remove the scratches made by the sander
Lastly, when we are about to buy a sander, we should keep in mind to have High-quality Disks. So that it won't be a break and will be much efficient in the sanding process.
When you are about to use a sander, Keep in mind to use it so carefully as the disks can make fetal causes if we don’t take any safety precautions.
Also, there are many other practical tips for the use of a sander. We will know about it, when we will be in the workshop, holding a sander in hand. I hope after reading this article, you will understand Sander Tips and sander uses.
Some of the new posts from our blog: